How to Be Cool.
Hey small group leaders here is some content for tonight. After reviewing a lot of the questions we had come in the area of acceptance and how to treat people were to big ones. So I took the idea of being accepted, favored, and cool and tried to convey some practical application for students that is rooted in identity and Christ and the principle of sowing and reaping. This touches on "bullying" without actually using that name and looks at it from a harvest perspective.
Proverbs 3:3-4 Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. 4Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation.
Proverbs 27:2 "Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth."
Proverbs 13:15 A person with good sense is respected;
a treacherous person is headed for destruction
Here's a 5 question not-cool check to ask your small group. This is for them to think about, not to raise their hands with. You can get conversation going by asking "why do we try to get attention by doing these 5 things?"
- Do I constantly live in self-pity, looking to get attention? If so...not cool.
- Do I try to impress people with money, possessions or accomplishments? If so...not cool.
- Am I gossipy and critical of others? If so...not cool
- Do I only treat people I like and know with love and respect? If so...not cool
- Do I spend the majority of time thinking about myself instead of Christ and others? If so...not cool.
Sowing and Reaping:
Galatians 6:7 Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
Galatians 6:9 Let’s not get tired of doing what is good, for at the right time we will reap a harvest—if we do not give up.
Job 4:8-9 My experience shows that those who plant trouble and cultivate evil will harvest the same.
James 3:17-18 But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere.Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.
4 Reasons You Should Be Cool
God wants us o be favored and accepted by people. Proverbs 3:3-4 says Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. 4Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation. You can enjoy favor, acceptance and popularity with both God and people.
- Cool, accepted people have the ability to influence others for good. That includes the witness of your Christian faith
- Cool, favored people have confidence to do things others believe impossible or improbable.
- Accepted people find it easy and natural to show other's God's love and acceptance.
- Cool people stand up for the truth and don't need everyone to agree with them or even like them.
6 Ways ANY Person Can Become Cool
- You become cool when you stand up for what is right and don't care who stands with you. (standing up for people being bullied, standing up for respecting others, standing up for people who are different)
- You become cool when you reach out to the poor, the hurting, the lost-those who are "uncool." Micah 6:8...the Lord has told you what is good,and this is what he requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy,and to walk humbly with your God.
- You become cool when you take time for those whom many overlook-Children. God loves kids and so should we. (That's why we see students serving as such a big deal!)
- You become cool when you freely admit your shortcomings, ask forgiveness, pick up where you fail and move forward with godly confidence.
- You become cool when you put God first in your words, your actions, and your plans.
- You become cool when you could care less about being cool?
*next week we will talk about moving self confidence and the trap of comparison!