Confidence in Christ
Without a doubt, one of the most difficult waters teenagers navigate today is identity. The onslaught of social media comparison and the never ending pressure to be "good enough" is on 24/7 for students. In this video we will talk about what it means to have confidence in Christ and how to carry yourself with that type of confidence.
Some people think that confidence is pride. You can be confident and very humble. For example Paul has many comments such as "“Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” Paul's confidence was in the Gospel, so he spoke boldly and without apology because his identity was in Christ. Pride is confidence in the wrong things. True confidence comes from a solid foundation of knowing who you are in Christ.
In order to lay a foundation of identity for our students we will talk about what it means to be confident. Below you will see another checklist to walk through with your students.
5 MARKS OF A CONFIDENT PERSON
- YOU AREN'T AFRAID TO MEET NEW PEOPLE
- YOU LIKE TO TRY NEW THINGS
- YOU AREN'T AFRAID TO TAKE CALCULATED RISKS IN ORDER TO ACHEIVE SOMETHING YOU WANT
- YOU DON'T GET DISCOURAGED AND DEPRESSED WHEN YOU FAIL. INSTEAD, YOU PICK YOURSELF BACK UP.
- IT DOESN'T BOTHER YOU MUCH WHEN PEOPLE CRITICIZE YOU.
If all the statements describe you, you are very confident. If 4 of the statements describe you, your confidence is solid and improving. Three true statement means you could use some improvement. Anything less than three means there is some real need for you to hear more truth of God and that He is confident in you!
In your small group time, read through these 7 scriptures together. Have the students read them out loud and ask them what they think about these passages
7 SCRIPTURES THAT PROVE GOD IS CONFIDENT IN YOU
- GOD WILL FULFILL HIS PURPOSE FOR YOUR LIFE: PSALM 138:8 The Lord will work out his plans for my life—for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever. Don’t abandon me, for you made me.
- GOD BELIEVED IN YOU ENOUGH TO ALLOW HIS SON, JESUS, TO DIE FOR YOU: JOHN 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him will not perish, but have eternal life.
- AFTER JESUS ROSE FROM THE DEAD, HE GAVE HIS MINISTRY TO HIS DISCIPLES AND US TO FINISH: Mark 16:15 And then he told them, “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.
- NOTHING CAN SEPARATE YOU FROM GODS LOVE: ROMANS 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,  Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- GOD GAVE US HIS POWER AND HOLY SPIRIT TO WITNESS: ACTS 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
- HE HANDPICKED YOU. YOU'RE HIS FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK. JOHN 15:16 You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.
- EVEN WHILE WE WERE LOST, HE MADE US ALIVE WITH HIM. EPHESIANS 2:5 that even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!)
IF GOD IS CONFIDENT IN ME, THAT SHOUDL BE ENOUGH FOR ME. HE IS THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE, AND HE IS ON MY SIDE. I CAN'T LOSE.
Talk through these passages and encourage those in your small group that need more confidence in Christ to memorize some of the passages we covered today.